Planting tulips is a blast for beginners and enjoyable for experts. It only takes 3 simple steps to be the king of spring:
- Dig a trench in the soil around 6 inches deep.
- Place the bulbs a few inches apart from each other with the point facing upwards.
- Generously water the bulbs then cover with soil.
Now just let the tulips do their thing until spring and you’ll have big beautiful blooms!
Top tip! Try out different patterns of planting, like a zig zag, or a curve to stand out.
*If you need to store them before planting, simply remove them from the plastic sleeve and place them right in the shipping box. Keep them in a cool dark place until you are ready to plant.
You can also plant in pots
- Use a pot at least 6 inches deep with drainage holes in the bottom and a saucer to catch water.
- Fill the pot about 1/3 with new potting soil. Place the bulbs with the point facing upwards (about six tulip bulbs will fit into a 6-inch pot). Add potting soil around the bulbs, keeping them upright.
- Water the bulbs immediately upon planting and when the soil surface feels dry.
- Cold treat your bulbs by placing the pot in a plastic bag with some holes for air, and leave it in an unheated attic/basement or even a refrigerator to simulate winter.
- After 12 weeks of cold treatment, place them by a sunny, cool window. The change in temperature will signal the bulbs to produce flower stalks.
4 brand new tulip collections!
This season we are offering 4 unique tulip bulb collections, each named after iconic Dutch artists. They contain 50 top size premium tulip bulbs, sourced directly from our trusted growers in from Holland.
• The Vermeer Collection is for the romantics out there, with tones of pink and purple.
• The Mondrian Collection has a distinct variety of colors that will brighten up any garden or plant pot.
• The Rembrandt Collection includes tulips of contrasting colors, such as a crisp white and a deep rich purple.
• The Van Gogh Collection features tulips that have depth and character, each having a gradient of colors.
Tulips can be purchased on our online shop and shipped for $19.99 (shop.hollandridgefarms.com) or purchased in person during our U-pick sunflower season for only $9.99 (must have a ticket for entry).